Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2016

These Three Things

Today I have three things to share with you:  my newest painting, a yummy salad recipe, and a link to an unusual, humorous Vimeo by artist Tom Sachs.

My family and I spent two weeks in New Mexico and northern Colorado recently, and I was able to some plein air painting while there.  Now that the kids are back in school, I have been able to put in some good studio time.  This is my first finished painting of the fall, and it's of a magical spot near Alluvial Falls and Horseshoe Park, in the Rocky Mountain National Park.





The weather was perfect this particular day, and I was sorely tempted to tell the family to leave without me and just come 'collect' me before dark.  It was one of those perfect hours in life.  You know how they feel: your body and spirit are at ease and your surroundings have just the perfect amount of warm, cool, and breeze.  The land and waters sparkled.  We were almost alone.  Perfect.

Back at the Ranch, as they say, I tried a hearty yet super-fresh tasting salad from "The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook: by America's Test Kitchen. I really love knowing the 'why' to the recipes, and that's what America's Test Kitchen does.  Complete Vegetarian Cookbook

I'm not a vegetarian, by the way, so maybe you fellow omnivores won't be afraid to try this:

 Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Peaches and Pecans 
1 tsp grated lime zest plus 2.5 Tbsp juice (2 limes)
1 tsp honey
1 sm. garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp xtra virgin olive oil
Whisk the above, minus the oil, in a large bowl.  Slowly whisk in the oil.  Set aside.
 Add the following:
2 (15-oz.) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed
2 peaches, halved, pitted, and chopped coarse
3 oz. frisee (I used spring mix), trimmed and chopped into 2-inch pieces
1/4 C. red onion, chopped fine
1/4 C. pecans, toasted and chopped
1/4 C. fresh basil leaves, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and chopped fine

I assembled the salad ahead of time, leaving the nuts and peaches out until the last minute.  I think you'll like it!    

Last thing:  If your sense of humor is such that you really "get" Monty Python and/or Wes Anderson's movie "Moonrise Kingdom" Moonrise Kingdom Official Trailer,  then you might also like this quirky "Ten Bullets The Studio Manual" by Tom Sachs:Tom Sachs Ten Bullets  
Thanks to Austin Kleon  Here's his link for his newsletter which pointed me to the Tom Sachs links!
There were a few bullet points I'd like to implement here at the house!

That's all for now.  I hope something here enriches your day or week.  Please share this blog with friends who might like it. Thanks, and Blessings on your day!

-Laura

 

No comments:

Post a Comment